Wednesday, June 28, 2017

THE ROAD TO WIGAN PIER

"Watching coal miners at work, you realise momentarily what different universes different people inhabit"--The Road to Wigan Pier

Finished The Winds of War yesterday.  It was pretty conventional and predictable:  as with North and South, I kept guessing what was about to happen.  Like in this one scene where Robert Mitchum is playing chess with a German general and I'm thinking, "The German will put Mitchum in check but Mitchum will end up pulling a checkmate!" I wasn't mistaken.

Should I see the sequel War and Remembrance?  It's twelve hours long, and Youtube doesn't have all of it.  I think it can wait...

I finally got us subscribed to Netflix.  (I figured out that I had to go to the system preferences' network section and remove our old Unotelly proxy.)

This morning I finally finished Canadian History for Dummies, which had me looking at Canadian history in a new way! Now I'm focusing on The Road to Wigan Pier, and just read the chapter describing the extreme working conditions in a coal mine. (During WWII Ernest Bevin, the British minister in charge of wartime production, had some conscripts consigned to coal mining, and many of the "Bevin boys" begged to be transferred back to the army!)

Finished my Sackville article for Midwife and wrote another about living in Brighton, England, when I was four.

1 comment:

John said...

Fascinating, as always.