Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A medical emergency


Monday afternoon at the memoir group one of our topics was fairy tales, and I mentioned Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment.  It turned out that the same book was on display on the Lillian Smith library's main floor!

Monday evening I read Miriam's entertaining article about hitchhiking to Vancouver in 1969 for Anne's magazine, and made some editing suggestions. (When I emailed the suggestions, I quoted a dentist: "I'm the expert, you're the boss.") I really enjoy editing!  I could do it for the rest of my life. Afterward I suffered from insomnia.

When I got up Tuesday morning Father wasn't around, which surprised me because he'd been sick.  In the afternoon Moira came home and said they'd taken him to the hospital in an ambulance for some tests. (They gave him extra blankets because his body temperature was low.) He keeps a watch on his blood-sugar count, and it had a big spike Monday, but by the time they got him to the hospital it was returning to normal.  They think he may be hemorrhaging.

That evening we rehearsed Fidelio at the Al Green Theatre for the first time.  They'd brought our costumes there, but I couldn't find mine! Let's hope it shows up before the dress rehearsal tonight.  I'd got hardly any sleep the night before, but I didn't start to feel sleepy till the last hour of the rehearsal.  The stage barricade us prisoners are behind reminds me of the spiked barricade in Spartacus that the gladiators pulled up and turned flat into a weapon!

No comments: