Sunday, March 11, 2018

Fritz Eichenberg


I had another vivid dream last night.  I was in William Goodenough House at Goodenough College where I spent eight months in 1995 (I often dream that), but there was a mixup about the rooms so another person was in the room and he and his friends were watching a loud TV show when I was really sleepy and just wanted to sleep.  Also, there was a (non-existent) emergency slide down to the main floor that kids were playing on.

I just set the topic for July's History Meetup.  It'll be on July 4, and we'll be discussing the American Revolution.  I've been getting far ahead in posting these events because I love writing out a basic historic background in the event description!  The background reading will be from the "Very Short Introduction" series, which has a lot of stuff about history and won't be too great a challenge for other members.

A few days ago I was posting in my This Time 15 Years Ago blog about starting to read Jane Eyre, in an edition with woodcut illustrations by Fritz Eichenberg.  I was just looking at his work online, and he was an expressionistic genius--in his woodcuts the trees and the sky are like characters in themselves! (You can find a lot of his pictures on Pinterest.)

I've taken to adding pictures to my blogs whenever I can think of an appropriate one. (I also included a link to a notable Salon article I read fifteen years ago.) The other night I was posting a memoir piece about waste that mentioned men taking trains to buffalo herds and shooting them just for the thrill, and I found a 19th century drawing that showed such a shoot!  The illustration at top is Eichenberg's self-portrait "The Dream of Reason," with some of the authors he's illustrated. Of course, it's an homage to Goya's etching "The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters."

No comments: