Sunday, March 04, 2018

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES


"Are you going to pull those guns, or whistle Dixie?"--The Outlaw Josey Wales

On Thursday Donald, John and Kathrine came over for Indian food to celebrate Father's 88th birthday.  I had to leave early for the History Meetup where we discussed Vietnam.

Saturday afternoon I saw Clint Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales for the second time.  It's a solid, realistic western that improves with second viewing. (Of course, the first time I saw it 27 years ago I'd just had a wisdom tooth removed and my jaw was gradually becoming unfrozen, which feels like being punched in the mouth but 1000 times as strong, so I wasn't in a receptive mood.) Chief Dan George was always a welcome addition.

Last night I dreamed of being in Halifax, and the folksong "Un Canadien Errant," but in nine-eighths rhythm with a melody more like a slow "Here We Go Loopy Loo."

No comments: