Saturday, March 17, 2018

Opening night!


Last night was the opening night for Fidelio.  This year we're using liquid foundation, so it's a bit harder for me to judge by feel whether I have enough.  My costume did show up, but I must have lost some pounds in the four months since the fitting, since my pants were pretty loose. We solved the problem by attaching it to my shirt with safety pins.

Today I finally went to see Father in the West Toronto hospital. (Nice atrium!) I remembered coming to see Mother at the hospital at Yonge & Queen five years ago. (I brought my book, Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop, but didn't stay as long as I expected because John was there too.) We were getting ready for her return home when she left us after just a week.  I was afraid that Father would leave us before I got to see him! 

Father will be coming home Monday or Tuesday.  He'll be sleeping downstairs so he won't have to use the stairs so much, and we can turn the sun room into his bedroom when it gets warmer.  That means I can take his old room, which doesn't need the electric heater! (I offered it to Moira because it seems so luxurious, but she's happy with her present room.) We'll also be moving the widescreen TV set downstairs.

The other day I saw the photo of the 7000 pairs of sneakers left on the Capitol Hill lawn in support of gun control.  It reminded me of that shot in The Pianist of the square cleared of Jewish deportees, containing only the luggage they had to leave behind. (Can you believe that Trump fired that guy just before he would have qualified for a pension?  Mean and petty.)

I just noticed that they've torn down the Honest Ed's building!  Frankly, the neighbourhood will be better off without that eyesore facade...

No comments: