Friday, March 09, 2018

Formative and central events

What with my interest in history, I was thinking in terms of how each century has a formative event and a central event (Remember that I'm viewing these events from the perspective of Western history!)

Century  Formative Event  Central Event

13th       Third Crusade      Imperial-Papal
-----         (1189-92)      conflict (1237-50)

14th          Creation of the     Black Death
-----          Mongol Empire

15th          Papal Schism     Renaissance
-----          (1378-1417)

16th          Da Gama's          Reformation
-----          voyage to India

17th            Counter-          30 Years War
-----          Reformation          (1618-48)

18th          War of the         Enlightenment
-----          Grand Alliance
-----          (1689-1702)

19th          French                Industrial      
-----          Revolution          Revolution
-----          (1789-1814)

20th           World War I      World War II
-----             (1914-18)          (1937-45)

I noticed that there's less certainty with formative events than with central events.  I chose Da Gama's discovery of the sea route to India over Columbus' discovery of the route to America:  that's because Da Gama transformed Europe a lot more quickly.  I chose the War of the Grand Alliance over the later War of the Spanish Succession (1702-15) simply because this was basically a continuation of the earlier war.  And I chose the French Revolution over the American Revolution (sorry, Americans) because it changed Europe more directly.

Notice also that I have the Second World War starting in 1937 instead of 1939 because I see the Pacific War as starting with Japan's 1937 invasion of China.

I've also been thinking in terms of millennia!

Millennium     Formative     Central
                        Event            Event

Late             Median         Alexander the
Ancient     conquest of    Great's conquest
(500 BC-    Nineveh             of Persia 
500 AD)    (612 BC)            (331 BC)

Medieval     Fall of the     Creation of the
(500 AD-      Roman           Holy Roman
1500)          Empire (476)   Empire (800)

Modern     Renaissance     Enlightenment
(1500-)

Very schematic of me, I know...

No comments: