Saturday, January 26, 2013

FREAKS AND GEEKS

"Your butt was calling to me"--Seth Rogen, FREAKS AND GEEKS

My latest Netflix TV series is the one-season wonder FREAKS AND GEEKS which I've seen before on DVD.  It's a classic high school show about a geeky freshman brother trying to fit in, and his older sister who's determined not to, set around 1980. (The show appeared in the 1999-2000 season.) James Franco and Seth Rogen got their start as two of the sister's only friends.

I like Joe Flaherty as their Father, who says things like "When I was in high school I had a friend who smoked.  Do you know what he's doing now?  He's dead!" (It's a shame that Flaherty didn't have as big a career as most of the other SCTV performers:  in my book he was the funniest of all.) But my favorite character is the anti-social Kim (Busy Phillips). I recall that "Kim Kelly Is My Friend" and the Halloween episode were masterpieces.

Meanwhile, I got started on a new online game called DYNASTY. It's about an heir restoring his father's ruined business empire in the 1930s.  But so far I'm just a farmer buying up properties in a nearby suburb.

I also looked at a DVD of Bollywood music videos from India.  Some of them were pretty strange!

No comments: