Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Joyce Murray

This evening I went to a Joyce Murray campaign event at Scallywag's.  She's the Vancouver MP running in the federal Liberal leadership race, who supports creating an electoral alliance with the NDP and the Greens.

Joyce Murray appeared and talked a lot about the importance of a non-Conservative alliance.  Most of the people there were grits, but there were also some New Democrats like me and at least one Green. (Some of those attending emphasized fighting climate change, which is also a big concern for me.) Thomas Mulcair says working with the other opposition parties isn't a priority with him, but he's party leader, not king!  I just hope this grassroots movement gets critical mass in the next two years, before the next federal election.

Afterward I went to Book City and found some more discounted books. (Most of them had a list price of $25 to $30, but were being sold for less than $10.) I bought Gore Vidal's BURR (sure, he was glib, but I've heard very good things about his historical novels); Mark Kurlansky's THE LAST FISH TALE, about the fishing town at Gloucester, Massachusetts; LATIN LOVE LESSONS, about Rome's amorous poetry; MUTINY ON THE _GLOBE_, a first-person account about a deadly 1824 mutiny on a Pacific whaler (led by the author's brother); Daniel Boorstin's THE SEEKERS, a history of world philosophy (I've read his the DISCOVERERS and THE CREATORS); Dava Sobel's THE PLANETS; a history of Australia; an illustrated book about modern art, and another of fairy tales.  I'd like to read some of them, and even if I don't we can sell them online.

No comments: