Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New York City

I've visited New York City a few times, and I'd like to do so again sometime, notwithstanding ROSEMARY'S BABY. (Moira says her only reason for visiting would be to have a big New York breakfast, and there are places where she can get that in Toronto.) But I always feel like I've only scratched the surface:  I'd like to find the non-touristy places that aren't so well known.

Of course, there are well-known sights that I'll keep coming to, like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  My favorite part is the section with the American art:  some of it I've recognized from Ken Burns' Civil War documentary.  I enjoy the footpath on the Brooklyn Bridge, and I like Central Park too. But there must be a lot of interesting stuff in the outer boroughs like Brooklyn. (I'm curious about the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood because I think ALL IN THE FAMILY was set around there.) I guess I should read something like the Lonely Planet guide.

I suppose you'd have to live there a while to really know the place, like when I was lucky enough to live in London in 1995. (But would it be worth the hassle of living in New York City?  Fran Leibowitz points out that when New York newspapers ask people on the street "What would you do if you won the lottery?" they answer "Leave New York!")

And I'd like to visit Los Angeles someday, just to see Disneyland (especially Main Street USA).

BTW, the other night I dreamed of meeting the actress Laura Dern at the Confederation Centre in Charlottetown, PEI.  I said to her, "Any day when I meet Laura Dern is a good day!" Which it would be.

No comments: