Thursday, June 27, 2013

Non-Fiction Book Club

This evening I went to the Non-Fiction Book Club Meetup at the Reference Library.  We discussed Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind:  Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion.  I just bought the book three days ago so I only had time to skim through it.  Fortunately, every chapter ended with a summary.  Someone started going on about the issue of gun ownership.  Next month's book is Guns, Germs and Steel.

I've got up to level 65 in Candy Crush Saga and 56 in Pet Rescue Saga.  So now it's time to quit them again, and I again removed both apps.  How long before my next regression? (On the subway today, I saw an Asian woman playing Candy Crush Saga on her Ipod.)

I've started watching The Twilight Zone on Hulu, which I can now get with our VPN.  Rod Serling's specialty, of course, was the perverse final twist:  I just saw an episode with Ed Wynn as a salesman who makes a deal with Death to delay his departure until he's managed the really big sales pitch he's always dreamed of, but then a little girl he likes is hit by a car and the only way he can save her is by giving Death the pitch....  The original musical theme (they didn't yet include the famous four notes) was by the great Bernard Herrmann.  I've heard that they managed to slip a lot of subtle social comment into the show, on issues like racial tolerance, because the network people thought it was just weird stories and didn't look any closer.

No comments: