Monday, June 24, 2013

What's a VPN?

Father to his teenage daughter: "Look, if I were really a prude, you wouldn't exist!"--Freaks and Geeks

Today I subscribed to a VPN.  That's a "virtual private network," which means we can now get access to a lot of interesting channels worldwide.  Most importantly, we can get the American version of Netflix, which has a much wider range of programming than the Canadian version. (I was saying that the only advantage of living in the U.S. instead of Canada is their version of Netflix.) 

There are also channels like Hulu, which has a lot of classic TV shows, and even some European channels!  Yet I can't help feeling that we're circumventing the rules somehow:  I wonder if this will all be banned soon.

Just saw another funny episode of Freaks and Geeks, the one where Linda and Kim ran over Millie's dog and felt guilty about it, while Bill's mother was dating his gym teacher, to his great discomfort.  Notice that I'm now writing titles with italics instead of ALLCAPS?  I've been learning more of this software's available features.  They also have bold and underlined and, if you want to be nice and ironic in a modern internet style, strikethrough!

No comments: