Saturday, June 22, 2013

TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

"Let's get him!" "Let's get him HARD!"--TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

This morning I went to a Scottish Meetup at the Pipers, which is just a short distance from our house.  I met Harry, who comes from Belfast, and Joanne.  We were also joined by Trevor, who wasn't part of the group but wanted to meet us! (Unfortunately, Fiona the hostess--she and her brother own the Pipers--wasn't feeling well and missed the event.)

I had the traditional Scottish breakfast, largely the same as an English fry-up.  It disagreed with me, and I napped in the afternoon and got sick later.  Next time I'll order something different.

In the evening I saw John Huston's TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, yet again, at a Classic Movie Meetup in the Fairlawn screening room.  This was the first event where we managed to fill the place. (Host Alex had to stand.) It's Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston at their best, an appropriate follow-up to the previous MAGNIFICENT SEVEN event.  Afterward we had a long discussion about a lot of different movies.

I've finished the first half of THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP.  I plan to take a break and read some different stuff (including some of the latest LAPHAM'S QUARTERLY) before returning to it.

No comments: