Sunday, June 30, 2013

Guns, Germs & Steel

I've started reading Jared Diamonds Guns, Germs and Steel for the next Non-Fiction Book Club event.  It's very readable.  I just finished a chapter all about Polynesian societies and the environmental factors that informed their different levels of development.

Saturday morning I went on a Walks with Profs outing.  We met at Eglinton & Dufferin and walked north to a magic shop. (To tell the truth, I'm not much interested in magic.) Unfortunately, the starting time was 10:30, and at least one person got there after we'd left.  I had to skip breakfast to avoid being late.

On the PBS website I saw the American Experience documentary about the Rockefellers.  Nelson Rockefeller kind of wrested the family leadership from his older brother John III, which reminded me of John F. Kennedy's rivalry with his older brother Joe. (They didn't include the famous photo of Nelson giving students the finger.)

John and Father have removed the bricks from one of the two new window holes in the living room.

I'm writing this on Sunday morning, and the blog already has over 100 pageviews for the day!

No comments: