Thursday, August 22, 2013

BLUE JASMINE

Puitak came over yesterday and brought us lunch from a Vietnamese place. (She brought me curry chicken and rice.) There was enough left over for another lunch!

In the afternoon Moira and I went to see Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine at the Varsity.  I'd accumulated enough Scene card points to get both of us in free! (I'm glad they let me share the points from my card.  You never know when there might be a snag.)

The movie was a pretty scathing satire, to the point of grimness.  Cate Blanchett was in rare form in the title role. (One actor, Bobby Cannavale, looked a whole lot like Colin Farrell.) They put on a commercial in the middle of the trailers, which bugged me.  I can accept commercials before trailers, but this is a step too far!

Bradley Manning got sentenced to 35 years yesterday.  I've been commenting about it a lot on The Huffington Post.  The homophobic glee of some people is getting on my nerves.  People keep calling him "the little twerp" or "the little punk." One guy wrote, "I hope he serves his full 35 years, then gets hit by a truck on the day of his release." But I still think he's a bigger hero than I've ever managed to be.

No comments: