Saturday, August 10, 2013

In a Lighter Vein

Today was the latest ROLT event:  In a Lighter Vein, devoted to humorous writing.  Fifteen people said they were coming, I made a reservation for ten, and seven showed up. (Four were new.)

I read James Thurber's "The Night the Bed Fell" (Mother liked Thurber) and Stephen Leacock's "My Financial Career." They're from the books My Life and Hard Times and Literary Lapses respectively.  Last Sunday I bought them at the World's Biggest Bookstore, which had only one copy each.  I also bought a discounted book showing Gustave Dore's famous drawings of 19th-century London.

In the evening I went to the Karaoke Meetup at BarPlus.  There were just three people, but one was a new girl with whom I sang the "Summer Nights" duet from Grease.

The annual week for commemorating banned books is in September, so for next month's ROLT, I think I'll make it about censored and challenged writing.  Besides reading censored works, we could also read writing about censorship, like Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and the book-burning in Cervantes' Don Quixote.

No comments: