Monday, August 12, 2013

Walking from Eglinton to Bloor

This afternoon I went on a Walking Meetup organized by Matthew.  We met near Yonge & Eglinton and walked down to Yonge & Bloor.  And we were pretty brisk:  it only took about an hour.

A dozen people came, with some nice variety. (One mother brought her son.) I was talking to a German girl wearing sandals, with a ring on one toe.  I was also talking to an Iraqi girl who's been reading Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a feminist critical of Islam.

At the end of the walk, we had lunch at Hue's Kitchen.  I ordered the butter chicken with brown rice, and the girl sitting next to me ordered the same thing.  I got served first, but I gave her the first serving and waited for the second. (Gentleman or what?)

You wouldn't expect to meet people you know by chance in a city as big as Toronto.  But that happened twice to me last week!  On Wednesday I went to a second meeting of the bereavement support group (I had a headache and had to leave early), and on the subway on the way there I met Sara, organizer of the Board Games Meetup.  It was a bit awkward because I haven't been to that group for a while.  

Then on Thursday, I went to Beguiling in Mirvish Village tp buy another volume of Fantagraphics' series of the complete comic strip Peanuts, from  1971 to 1974--I remember seeing some episodes at the time! I also got some cheap reprints of Mad magazine, including Dave Berg Looks at the U.S.A., and Dennis the Menace Rides Again. What was I talking about?  Oh yeah, just afterward I met Alex, organizer of the Life Begins at Forty Meetup.  And I reminded him I'd be attending his screening of The Postman Always Rings Twice on Monday.

No comments: