Tuesday, August 13, 2013

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

"I like cats.  They're always up to something!"--The Postman Always Rings Twice

This afternoon I went to the memoir slam.  Our two subjects were "bargains" and "looking through windows." On bargains I wrote that I've never really got into consumer culture or watching for bargains, but that Giuseppe Macina's singing lessons have good value for money.  On windows I mentioned staring out the back window when I was little, which Mother called "foxing"; looking out my window in early fall after a frosty night and seeing green grass covered in a temporary white blanket (something I miss from my New Brunswick days); looking out the window from my first Toronto home twenty years ago and seeing the old buses and streetcars at the Wychwood Barns; looking my window today and seeing a firehouse tower, and wishing I could get access to the top and see the view.  I really enjoy this group!

This evening I saw the 1948 version of The Postman Always Rings Twice at the Classic Movies Meetup at the Central. (I'd seen it on TV before, but I recorded it on video and didn't get the last ten minutes.) John Updike got it right when he wrote in The New Yorker that it isn't a great movie but has great moments.

After I got home I saw the last episode of the second-last season of Breaking Bad.  Pretty stunning.

No comments: