Saturday, August 10, 2013

BREAKING BAD

"Walter, just because you shot Jesse James... don't make you Jesse James"--Mike, Breaking Bad

"Boys shave, and girls say 'You cut yourself!'"--Eva Gabor, Green Acres

My failure to post this last week hasn't been due to anything like my earlier earache.  I simply couldn't think of anything to say!

In recent days Moira and I have been watching the second-last season of Breaking Bad, which just came available on Netflix.  It's a really brilliant show. (It's the one about the high school chemistry teacher who gets into the crystal meth business.) As Moira says, Bryan Cranston is an actor who can do two things at once.  We watch an episode every evening. (There are eight.)

I've also been watching some old TV shows on Hulu.  I just discovered Green Acres there.  Every episode I've seen--I'm starting with the last season--has a detail I remember from seeing the show back in 1970!  Eddie Albert did a great slow burn.  

I also saw the first episode of Blake Edwards' Peter Gunn, which is cool in a 1958 sort of way, especially Henry Mancini's theme music. (Crazy, Daddyo!) But I can't quite get into Night Gallery, Rod Serling's early '70s horror followup to The Twilight Zone.  Maybe it's his hairpiece.  I couldn't quite get into Ric Burns' documentary Death and the Civil War either, which I saw the first part of on Netflix.

No comments: