Thursday, August 29, 2013

KICK-ASS 2

"My superpower is, I'm rich as shit!"--Kick-Ass 2

Yesterday I went to the Yonge & Eglinton and saw Kick-Ass 2.  Yeah I know, I was slumming.  It was pretty tasteless and predictable, as I expected.  I did like the bit at the end when he said that the world needs real heroes. (People like Chelsea Manning!) 

At the end they had a big fight between a mob of masked superheroes and a mob of masked supervillains and I was wondering how they told each other apart.  Wouldn't they end up attacking people on their own side?  At least in the Star Wars movie the Imperial soldiers wore masks while the rebels didn't.

Afterward I bought my tickets for the Last Night at the Proms concert and the Met opera broadcasts. (I'm seeing Rusalka, Prince Igor, Werther, Cosi Fan Tutte and Cenerentola.) I ended up with over a thousand Scene Points.  If I'd bought these tickets beforehand, I could have spent them on Kick-Ass 2.

The night before I saw a documentary about Lon Chaney Sr. on Netflix.  I remember when I was a kid seeing a big comic book ad for Aurora's monster models series. (Donald made an Aurora model of the Lost in Space robot.) Anyway, the image of Chaney as the Phantom of the Opera caught my eye:  you could see that he wasn't just a simple monster but a creature in pain.

No comments: