Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Three classic movies

"I shall hang you twice, I think"--The African Queen

"Suppose Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks divorce!"--Some Like It Hot

On selling drugs to Negroes: "They're animals anyway, let them lose their souls!"--The Godfather

Over the last few days I've seen three classic movies.  I'd seen them several times before, and saw them again with Classic Movie Meetup groups.

Saturday night I saw John Huston's The African Queen at the Fairview screening room.  It's a great romantic adventure, with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn achieving a nice quirky chemistry.

Monday night I saw Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot at the Event Screen.  Jack Lemmon had a great scene saying "I'm engaged!" It occurred to me that it wouldn't have worked as well in color as it does in black & white.

Last night I saw Francis Coppola's The Godfather at the Revue, as part of their series of movies based on books.  During the scene where Michael visited his father in the hospital, I remembered visiting Mother in her last week.

Geoff Pevere introduced the movie and talked about it afterward.  When he asked for audience comments, I mentioned that the scene where Barzini got assassinated on the big steps resembled the ending of The Roaring Twenties where a mortally James Cagney climbed the church steps.

Yesterday I went to Dufferin Mall and a found a shoe repair place that sold me a new watch battery. (I also replaced my threadbare watch strap.)

No comments: