Monday, August 26, 2013

THE ASCENT OF MAN

Betty finished her draft of the play, and I printed it out before Friday's rehearsal, where we had our first run-through. (She liked the portentous sound with which I quoted the newspaper headline.) There's no rehearsal on Labor Day weekend, so it's time to start MEMORIZING my lines!  I improvised a line for the closing scene, and Betty likes it enough to include it.

Moira borrowed J. Bronowski's BBC series The Ascent of Man from the library, and we've been watching it again. (I remember seeing the whole thing in a Sunday afternoon presentation in the university auditorium, two episodes per Sunday, when I was twelve.) Like Kenneth Clark's Civilization, it's a very entertaining "personal view" of mankind's onward & upward progress.  I remember it in much detail. (I was thinking of renting the Danish version of The Killing from Suspect Video, but that can wait till we're finished with this.)

This afternoon I went on another Professor's Walk.  This time we met near Spadina station and took a circular route that led us to the Chinatown festival.  It was pretty noisy, especially the Falun Gong drummers. (When I got home I had a headache.) I was talking to a woman from mainland China who teaches about polymers and was interested in our house renovations.

No comments: