Monday, September 02, 2013

Canadian National Exhibition

I'm not a big fan of the Canadian National Exhibition:  I'll go to it every three years or so.  I was really impressed by it the first time I went, at age thirteen, when it was near its all-time attendance peak.  But maybe I was just more easily impressed back then.

Yesterday I attended the Ex with the Out of Your Shell Meetup group.  There were about a dozen of us, but after we arrived half went off to stand in line for the super-dog show.  I was with the other half, and we visited the Arts and Crafts Building and the Scadding cabin and saw some of the air show near the lakeshore. (What's so great about air shows?  They're better than dog shows, anyway.)

Then I went my own way and headed to my real reason for coming:  the Midway rides.  I splurged and bought an "all you can eat" wristband, then went on ten rides, including stuff like the Euroslide and the Tilt-a-Whirl and the chair lift that carries you up over the midway.  But my favorite ride is the bumper cars, and I rode them twice after waiting in long lines. (I could have saved time by paying another twenty dollars for an express wristband, but that would have been excessive even for me.)

What else did I do there?  I ate spaghetti and meatballs in the Food Building.  I  saw some butter sculptures in the Farm Building.  As I was leaving I met a man who'd had breakfast at the Canadian Law Society with someone who was my spitting image, including the same jacket.  I said, "I hope you didn't lend him any money!"

No comments: