Monday, September 16, 2013

You can't read THAT!

Friday night we had another rehearsal.  It was decided to delay the performance till April.  Our next rehearsal won't be till November 8. (Martha is in a play in Aurora.) That'll give me some time to learn more lines.

Saturday afternoon was another ROLT event.  I chose banned and challenged books for the subject, because the week honoring banned books is this month, and called it "You can't read that!" I read the first part of Tomi Ungerer's witty children's book No Kiss for Mother; the part of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn where he says, "All right, I'll go to hell then!"; part of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye (which I just reread) where Holden Caulfield talked about how he was something of a coward, and where he talked about still being a virgin.  I thought of reading the chapter in Don Quixote where they burned his books, but decided it was too slow.

There was a wide range of stuff read.  Someone read from Truman Capote's In Cold Blood; someone else from Alice Walker's The Color Purple; and Jane read Maurice Sendak's In the Night Kitchen and Helen Bannerman's Little Black Sambo.  Unfortunately, Joel took offence and left while I was reading from Mark Twain.  I'll have to do a better job of preparation.

For next month I think I'll do British writing.

No comments: