Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Columbus Center Community Choir

At yesterday's memoir slam, the subjects were expectations and TV commercials. (The latter subject was one I'd submitted.) On the subject of expectations, I talked about how I was cautious in looking forward to things.  On TV commercials, I mentioned this '70s ad with a farmer saying "Hey, you kids get out of that Jello tree!' and an '80s ad where someone said, "You own a computer and don't have games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong?  That's like having a stereo with no hit records!"

Last night was the first rehearsal of the new choir under Beatrice Carpino's direction.  She's made a few changes.  Giuseppe Macina seated mezzos in the front row left, sopranos in the front row right, basses and baritones (my range) in the back row left and tenors in the back row right.  Beatrice, on the other hand, seats mezzos on the left, tenors center-left, basses center-right and sopranos right.  And she starts with voice exercises. (Also, she had a cookie break in the middle!)

Our first piece was the Pachelbel Canon.  Years ago I saw a choir singing that piece at the start of the really sad movie Ordinary People. (Canada's Donald Sutherland is one of Hollywood's most underrated actors!) So I still find that piece rather depressing.

I got up to level 70 in Candy Crush Saga and level 58 in Pet Rescue Saga, and now I've quit those games again (for how long?). I've started a new Facebook game called Sunshine Bay, which involves developing a Florida port as the starting point for cruises.

No comments: