Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Choir and opera

At choir Monday night we started doing "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music, a musical for the fallout shelter era.  It's all about joy in the face of dread, most clearly in that song.  I had a big headache.

Last night at the opera we got to the Habanera. (I still don't know the date when David Roche is doing our acting class.) I mentioned to Beatrice the six styles of love and how they correspond to the leading characters in Carmen:  ludus (love as a game) is Carmen; mania (love as obsession) is Don Jose; eros (love as conventional romantic passion) is Don Escamillo; and storge (affection developing gradually out of friendship), pragma (practical considerations) and agape (self-sacrificing empathy) are all Michaela.

I recently found an interest cheque they sent me a few months ago. (I thought it was a statement.) That puts me ahead of the game financially!)

This afternoon I went to an open house at Culturelink, an institute for established Canadians to meet immigrants. (I've been considering volunteering for that.)

I just finished Niall Ferguson's The Ascent of Money.  I wonder what I should read next?

No comments: