Monday, September 09, 2013

IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD

"Why, if I had money I could live in a convent"--It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

This afternoon I saw Stanley Kramer's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (for the fifth time) at the Event Screen with the Classic Movies Meetup.  They were half an hour late getting started and gave us coupons to see a free movie.  It turned out to be the shorter print.

IAMMMMW is what you call a guilty pleasure.  The author of The United Artists Story (one of four coffee-table studio histories I own) calls it "vulgar, cynical and cruel," and I can't disagree:  it's about people motivated by sheer greed and becoming mean.  But I first saw it at age ten--definitely the right age--and it has a nostalgic appeal for me.  I like actors like Phil Silvers and Terry-Thomas, though Spencer Tracy gives his worst performance.

This evening I went to the first Born in the '60s Meetup event at Sugar n Spice, a dessert place west of the Yorkdale station. (I warned them that I'd be late arriving, and I was.) I ordered a peach melba sundae and got a headache.

I've been having some odd dreams lately.  Last week I dreamed of creating a story about an American in World War II who gets drafted but sneaks off to Mexico instead. (I can see myself running away.) The other night I dreamed of bouncing on trampolines.

No comments: