Friday, September 13, 2013

Hello Dollys

Moira and I made Hello Dollys the other day.  That's a dessert recipe they came up with in the 1960s to sell condensed milk. (I want to try some new recipes.) You make a base from graham cracker crumbs (with sugar and half a cup of melted butter!), like with cheesecak.  Then you add layers of chocolate chips, shredded coconut and chopped pecans, pour a whole can of sweet condense milk over it, and put it in the oven for half an hour.

I had a piece yesterday.  They weren't terrible, but once was enough for me.  In hindsight, to tell the truth, I'm more interested in making these things than in eating them.

I'm still helping Moira straighten out the locate file for all our books.  We've finished the living room, and yesterday we started on the extra books in the attic.  Sometime we're going to clear the attic shelves so we can remove the carpet, and we'll have to label the boxes so the books get put back in the right places.

Wednesday night I went on another professor walk.  I was talking to an Italian girl called Elettra and an Irish guy (deep brogue) who likes horror movies.  But we went to a restaurant that was so noisy I had to leave pretty quick.

Last night I went on another Queen St. West art walk with Betty-Anne.  We visited Yellowkorner, Gallery Catalyst, Georgia Scherman Gallery, Susan Hobbs Gallery, and Carmen's Spanish kitchen, where they had samples of little watermelon cubes garnished with basil.

No comments: