Tuesday, September 24, 2013

CHINATOWN

Sunday afternoon I saw Roman Polanski's Chinatown yet again, at the Event Screen with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup.  It was another in the "Film 101" series introduced by Murray Pomerance. (I usually go to them, though I missed his presentation of Spielberg's Empire of the Sun last month.) What great dialogue!  When a girl on the phone asks "Are you alone?" Jack Nicholson says "Aren't we all?" That's the kind of line Nicholson worked wonders with.

Pomerance talked about the movie afterward, but I didn't stay for that part.  I actually left before the tragic ending, because I didn't want to be late getting home for dinner, and I was just in time.  Dinner was Chinese food, fittingly enough.  My fortune cookie said that I'm good-natured, practical and attached to my beliefs, which I suppose is true.

Yesterday at the memoir group the two subjects were "The best compliment I ever received" and "September." (The latter was a subject that I'd submitted.) On the former subject I mentioned how ten years ago Cynthia, my dance teacher at the Arthur Murray studio, called me a gentleman.  Selia liked the September pieces so much that she submitted the other twelve months of the year, so we'll probably be doing a lot of that.

At The Huffington Post I wrote a post about an Elizabeth Drew piece saying "Don't scapegoat people who don't vote.  If they don't care, they don't care." But the moderators wouldn't publish it, and Moira realized it was because they were automatically blocking posts with the expression "don't care." (So abusive!) So I rewrote it as "If they're not caring, they're not caring," and it got published.

No comments: