Sunday, September 08, 2013

Last Night at the Proms

Al Pacino (eating a French fry): "I've lived on these since I was ten.  That's why I'm so good looking"--The Panic in Needle Park

Last night we returned to rehearsing the play. (I've memorized my first two lines!) Don took the measurements for our customs.  Martha found an actor called Sal, with professional experience, to play Inspector Hugh Dunnit.  Sal suggested giving the play some "tweaking."

This afternoon I saw the Last Night at the Proms concert with the Classical Music Meetup at the Yonge & Eglinton.  There was some familiar music like Wagner's Meistersinger overture and Vaughn Williams' "Ascent of the Lark." (Violinist Nigel Kennedy dresses like a hobo.) I left in the intermission:  just didn't feel motivated to stay for the second half with all the regular pieces like "Land of Hope and Glory."

This evening we looked at The Panic in Needle Park on Netflix.  That's the early Al Pacino vehicle about heroin users, written by John Gregory Dunne and Joan Didion.  It's one of those spare, "gritty" New York movies from the '70s.  Pacino was lively enough, but the movie got too depressing for us.

No comments: