Monday, December 30, 2013

INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

Record producer F. Murray Abraham (hearing Llewyn's audition): "I don't see any money here"--Inside Llewyn Davis

Last night I went to Jonah's Karaoke Meetup at BarPlus.  I sang quite a few songs, including the Alan Parsons Project's "Don't Answer Me," which I'd only sung once or twice before.

This afternoon I saw the Coen brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis at the Lightbox with a Movie Meetup group.  Pam was there too, and we always have interesting conversations. (She spent a year in New Guinea, which I'm now interested in after reading Guns, Germs and Steel.)

The movie was set in the New York folk music scene of the early 1960s, but was really about that scene's second-rate talents, sort of like the Christopher Guest spoof A Mighty Wind.  It was rather odd, part droll and part downbeat, with a far from likeable hero.

Because it's Christmas time, I've been playing Candy Crush Saga and Pet Rescue Saga again.  (I'm up to level 86 in Candy Crush Saga.) Now I have several Facebook friends who are also playing them.  After you play a level both games sometimes offer you a fun-o-meter to rate how much you liked it.  But the way I see it there's no point in rating each level, because what makes those games so fun is that all the levels are different!  If some levels are less fun than others, that's still better than if you only got to play the most fun levels.

No comments: