Tuesday, December 17, 2013

You might be an Aspie if...

I belong to some Facebook groups.  The main one is for the Autistic Spectrum Community.  I sometimes post news articles there on Asperger's Syndrome and autism that I've found on The Huffington Post and Salon and such.

Another of my Facebook groups is called "You might be an Aspie if..." Just lately that group's become pretty active.  One post was about how we often remember commercial jingles, and that got a whole lot of comments. (I get an email every time someone comments in a thread I've commented in, and I got quite a few from that one.)

Another one was about how we study foreign languages, and when we learn some way a foreign language is different from English, which for most people makes it a headache, sometimes causes us to think "If only English were like that!" We got talking about languages and I mentioned how German is full of tricks (like English). For example, "Lass singen" means "Sing on," while "Lass das Singen" means "Stop that singing."

Just today there was a post about how we often can't stand something like the noise from a vacuum cleaner. (My family used to have a really annoying Dirt Devil.) I mentioned that I can't bear to hear balloons burst, and get nervous when there are balloons around.

This evening I contributed a post myself mentioning how I recognize a musical chord in the game Candy Crush Saga as the opening chord in "Anitra's Dance" from Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite. (Since it's yuletide, I've relapsed into playing that game and Pet Rescue Saga, for a little while.) The tune that starts every CCS game also reminds me of "Getting to Know You" from The King and I.

No comments: