Monday, December 16, 2013

THE PERVERT'S GUIDE TO IDEOLOGY

Yesterday afternoon I went to Bev's Asperger's Meetup at an espresso place north of Eglinton station.  The snow interrupted the streetcars and I ended up walking all the way to St. Clair West station in the blizzard!  I was late, of course, but so was everyone else.  I had a scone and a pineapple-orange smoothie with Greek yogurt.  I also mentioned my new theory that Charles Lindbergh was an Aspie.

Last night I went to a party for the opera people at Frank Dejong's house near Lansdowne station.  About ten people made it despite the snow.

This afternoon I saw The Pervert's Guide to Ideology with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup group at the Lightbox.  It's a documentary with radical intellectual Slavoj Zizek discussing ideological themes in movies. (Moira says his name is pronounced "zhizhek,"-- from the Cyrillic letter that looks like a spider--which you wouldn't know just from reading it.) They'd show a Taxi Driver scene with Travis Bickle sitting on his bed, then show Zizek discussing the movie sitting on a bed that looked just the same.  A lot of what he said was over my head, but I liked his setting Titanic next to a Soviet romantic propaganda movie called The Fall of Berlin, in which the hero gets romantic advice from Comrade Stalin!  Zizek pointed out that Rose tells Jack's corpse "I'll never let go of you," just as she pushes him off the raft!

No comments: