Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A new Meetup group

Two weeks ago at the memoir slam, only six people showed up and Selia was worried about its future.  So I've started a new Meetup group to attract people from that milieu. (Since I'm already organizing the ROLT Meetup, I can start a new one with no extra fees.)

It's working well.  The Meetup group already has about ten members.  At yesterday's session three of the nine people came from Meetup. (A couple others may be coming next week.) Our two subjects were "Things that aren't as they appear" and "Being chosen last." On the first subject I couldn't think of much to write about, but mentioned how I'd belied my appearance.  The latter was a subject that I'd just submitted:  ironically, it got chosen first!  I talked about being chosen last for teams in gym class, including the time when both teams insist the other one take me.

At this evening's opera rehearsal things were reversed and Adolfo went downstairs with the boys, like in previous years, while Beatrice stayed upstairs with the girls.  We did the number from the third act of Carmen where the smugglers sing about sending pretty women like Carmen on ahead to distract the customs officer. ("Like all men, he's eager to please/He loves to play the gentleman..") Just at the end of the number there's a triple-dotted note!  That very rare sign means that the note's value is increased by seven-eighths, and it goes from two beats to three and three-quarters.  In other words, it fills the four-beat bar all except for one quarter-beat note at the end.  I noticed a note like that in the finale of Macbeth too.

No comments: