Tuesday, October 08, 2013

What I think about sometimes

During yesterday's walk in the park, I got to thinking about how I'd remake Ingmar Bergman's sexy comedy Smiles of a Summer Night in an American setting.  I imagined it being set in Arlington, Virginia, in 1899.  I imagined Fredrik going to see the opera Carmen at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C., with Desiree shown singing the Habanera.  And there'd be some dialogue afterward.

Younger woman (cooing, holding up her fan): That was so immoral!

Older woman (livid): You could see he was having intimate relations with that... that...  If he hadn't stabbed her, I would have!

Mother (with boy in tow): He should have married the nice girl.

Fredrik:  It's all French to me.

Boy: If they were Spanish, why were they singing in French?

Mother (grabbing the boy's ear): Don't ask questions all the time!


And I imagined a scene where Fredrik sneaks up behind Anne and puts his hands over her eyes.  Anne smiles at first, but when Fredrik speaks and she realizes it's him and not Henrik her smile fades, but it returns when she turns around and faces him.

I think the original movie had a scene where the Countess fires a pistol at a shooting range, so I imagined a soldier saying to her, "Bullseye!  We could have used you in Cuba!"

That's what I think about sometimes. (While I remember these characters well, I had to check the Internet Movie Database to remember their names.)


No comments: