Monday, October 28, 2013

RUSH

"Are you ever not an asshole?"--Rush

Today I went out food shopping.  All I could think of to get was milk and eggs, but I felt the need to get out of the house.  It was pretty cool, but I decided against wearing my furry winter cap. (My breath isn't visible yet.)

I also felt like seeing a movie, and didn't care which so much.  I'd hoped to see that documentary about the woman in charge of the Beatles' fan club, but it was on earlier than I thought.  In the evening I went to see Ron Howard's Rush at the Varsity.

Rush is an enjoyable, sometimes thrilling biopic about the world of 1970s Formula One auto racing and the famous rivalry between Jim Hunt and Niki Lauda. (I remember reading about--spoiler alert!--Lauda's recovery from a near-fatal crash, leaving his face with permanent burn marks that seemed not uncool when I was fifteen.) Howard's middlebrow craftmanship can build real excitement--both here and in his Apollo 13--though his use of not one but two flashback montages is more than a little cheesy.

The other night as I was going home from karaoke I noticed a long queue in front of a nightclub.  I hope Toronto isn't turning into New York!

No comments: