Thursday, October 17, 2013

Funny Girl

"I'm a bagel in the middle of onion rolls!"--Funny Girl

Moira went off to Kingston for a while, so we'll resume watching The World at War when she comes back. (Before she left, she made us a turkey pie!)

I've started digging up the potatoes in the garden.  It's somewhat better than last year anyway.

Last night at opera rehearsal we started bringing the props upstairs from the basement.  We're now getting into the third act. (Beatrice is hoping to start the staging part before the Christmas break!) It turns out that David Roche won't be doing the acting class this year.

Today I finally saw William Wyler's movie of the musical Funny Girl at the Event Screen. (It was for the second or third time:  the first time was in French on a black & white TV, so I'm not sure how much that counts.) It's a pretty good Barbra Streisand vehicle, on the conventional side.  With Streisand, what you see is what you get:  either you adore her or you don't.  I checked out Fanny Brice on Wikipedia and it turned out that Nicky Arnstein didn't become noble in the end as the movie depicted. I think the projector didn't have trouble last week; this print starts with an imageless overture so they thought there was something wrong.

Afterward I had dinner at the Eaton Centre food court. (They now have "collection centers" for empty trays.) I used to eat roast beef sandwiches at Arby's there, but that place has now closed.  Instead I ate Indian food from Amaya Express:  butter chicken with fresh naan bread and mango juice. (They also threw in chickpeas.)


No comments: