Monday, October 14, 2013

Oh to be in England...

Yesterday was the October ROLT event.  At the last minute I found out that Butler's Pantry was closed on Thanksgiving weekend, and had to change the location to Victory Cafe, also in Mirvish Village to the south.  Fortunately, we still got a full six people.

I read part of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre where she returned to her old home and met two cousins, who were messed up in opposite ways.  I also read a beautiful chapter of the third book in T.H. White's The Once and Future King explaining how Guenevere ended up in love with Lancelot. (All the library copies were out--some book club must be reading it--so I had to buy it, but I was hoping to read The Sword in the Stone again anyway.) And I read the first page of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English, and Jane considered this a highlight.  I considered reading Orwell's essay "Shooting an Elephant" as well, but skipped it.

Among the other readers, a new guy called Darren read an entry from his blog "Personal Travel Stories," about visiting Cheshire. (Like me, he's a big fan of Bill Bryson.) Moira came and read part of Samuel Pepys' diary with his vivid depiction of the Great Fire of 1666.

Too bad that the lunch I ordered there made me unwell for much of the day. (Beware those home fries!) Donald came over for dinner but I had to skip dessert.

Viewership of this blog has been sluggish for a while, but I just had a big uptick.  My "Busy evenings" post has already had seven pageviews!

No comments: