Monday, January 06, 2014

A CONCISE HISTORY OF BYZANTIUM

Last Friday I finally got my used copy of Warren Treadgold's A Concise History of Byzantium through the miracle of snail mail.  I only had to wait about a month for it, but that's what happens when you order something in December!

Fortunately, the book's only 240-odd pages long, so I'll have an easy time getting it read before the Non-Fiction Book Club meets. It covers a period of almost 1200 years, which works out to almost five years per page.  I'm already about a third of the way through!

The book reminds me a bit of Pocket History of the United States, a book I read thirty years ago, which also covers a pretty wide range at limited length.  I should suggest that book for one of the club's future events on its messageboard!  I should also post a link to Selia's list of memoir publications (which I've contributed a few titles to).

Speaking of Selia, the memoir slam starts again tomorrow.  I should suggest that Selia go through the subject cards in the canister because there may be some duplicates.  Specifically, I'm afraid I may have submitted the same subject a second time in a couple of cases.

No comments: