Sunday, January 26, 2014

PANDORA'S BOX

"Kill yourself....  It's the only way to save both of us"--Pandora's Box

This afternoon I went to see G.W. Pabst's Pandora's Box (for the third time, I think) at the Revue, part of the Silent Sundays series with live piano by William O'Meara.  I felt like seeing some movie today, and this one is pretty stylish.  I want to read Louise Brooks' memoir Lulu in Hollywood.

Unfortunately, the movie was at 4:15 so I was concerned about being late for dinner:  we were ready to see the last episode of the second season of Borgen and Moira had to start it before 7:00 or so or she'd get sleepy, while I had to see it tonight because I have choir practice tomorrow night.  So I had to watch the clock or we'd have to see it separately.

I ended up leaving early, during the gambling scene. (Gambling scares me.) Anyhow, I was happy to leave before Jack the Ripper did Louise Brooks in.  But when I got to Dundas West station there was a problem at Dufferin station, so they were sending shuttle buses between Keele and Ossington.  I waited in the station, but it took me half an hour to figure out that the buses were picking up people outside the station, south of Bloor Street.  Dumb, stupid, stupid, stupid!

In the end it took me almost 90 minutes to get home and I had to watch that episode without Moira.  It reminded me of a time twenty-odd years ago, back when the two of us were living in that apartment on Slade Avenue.  I went to York University on a blizzardy day and managed to lose my house key on the way there.  On Monday nights Moira went to a lecture series about The Divine Comedy or something, but I had to phone her and ask her to wait till I came home so I wouldn't be locked out in such weather.  The commute between home and the university normally took just under an hour (someday they'll finish the subway extension...) but today on the way back the bus was moving so slowly in the blizzard that I took about three hours to get home!  Which meant that Moira had to miss her lecture, and I still feel really bad about my responsibility for it, because she really enjoyed the series:  it was the highlight of her week.

If this cloud has a silver lining, it's that it gave me something to write about here.

No comments: