Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Brass monkey weather!

Romantic banter: "Aren't you going to search me?  I might have anything down my pants!" "Or nothing"--The Hobbit:  The Desolation of Smaug

Sunday afternoon I saw Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (for the fourth time, I think) at the Event Screen with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup group.  My favorite character is Mr. Pink. (Steve Buscemi played basically the same character in Fargo.)

Monday night I was going to see The Maltese Falcon with the Classic Movie Meetup, but it was cancelled because of the cold weather.  So I lost the chance to headline this post "Two classic tough-guy movies." I only found about the cancellation when I got there after braving the cold. (Yeah, I need to check my email more often.)

In this freezing weather I depend on my room's electric heater, which I've even been turning on in the daytime! I hardly feel like doing anything, including writing this blog.  But this evening I went out to the Yonge & Eglinton and saw The Desolation of Smaug, the second of Peter Jackson's movies based on Tolkien's The Hobbit, in 3-D.  Like the first one, it was overlong and pretty conventional--get ready for the "outrun the explosion" cliche and orc heads comin' at ya!--  but it did get me out of the house.

I've finally finished reviewing all the Greek I learned in the past, and I'm now learning some new Greek lessons!

No comments: