Monday, January 13, 2014

If you ask me...

Yesterday was the January ROLT Meetup.  The subject was essays, criticism and opinion pieces and the event was titled "If you ask me..." We got a dozen people, one of our best turnouts, and I hit them for contributions toward the Meetup expenses.  I suggested moving the location to the Victory Cafe, and the others agreed to it.

I read Roger Ebert's hilariously sarcastic Agitprop-style review of Ken Russell's excess-fest The Devils, and George Orwell's essay "Why I write." Jane read part of a Tom Wolfe 1970s article about "the perfect crime." Someone read three poems he'd written, and someone else read something about Darwin.

Last night I had another complicated dream.  I was a graduate student looking for something original to research who was tempted to start producing illegal drugs.  We were going to produce them in an unused mansion inside a skyscraper!  Then this famous football coach had a Nazi-type rally at the mansion, resulting in a huge crowd descending on it.  I ended up deciding to write a book about the crime I almost committed, and how I would have been caught.  I also dreamed of a statue made of cocaine being built on a rooftop and getting blown away.

No comments: