Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Hogmanay

"You know why so few women play poker?  Because they can't bluff!"--Borgen

It's a new year.  Last night, as usual, I went to bed early and tried to sleep through midnight.  And as usual, I was awake and heard the noise at midnight.  But I heard noise at several points and can't be completely sure which was midnight.  For me, that's close enough to sleeping through it.

Yesterday Moira rented the Danish political TV series Borgen at 2Q Video.  It's a terrific, gripping fictional show about Denmark's first female prime minister and all the sneaks she has to deal with. (Her first spin doctor reminded me of Dr. Hassan.) Moira's watching it in the afternoon as well as the evening, which she rarely does.

It's by the same group who made that police procedural series The Killing, which we saw the first episode of on Youtube.  I want to buy the video online, since we can't seem to find it for rent.

I haven't made a lot of New Year's resolutions.  There's a girl called Susan at the opera who's gone out of her way to be friendly to me, so I intend to be friendlier with her this coming year. (I think she's the one who sang "I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls" at last year's master class.) Also, I've been rewriting some fairy tales and intend to print them out and submit them to a publisher...

No comments: