Saturday, January 11, 2014

Stagehand!

When they show the Met opera telecast in cinemas, sometimes in the intermission they'll show the stagehands changing the sets backstage, and you can hear them talking in quintessential New York accents.  This week I got to be an opera stagehand myself!

Frank needed volunteers to help set up the main parts of our opera set at the Bickford Centre.  I came at the last minute, too wary to make an early commitment. (There were half a dozen of us.) First we brought up the tall columns from the basement storeroom, which meant opening the metal door in the stage right floor and guiding them upward.  Then we assembled and raised everything on the stage.  At one point I was driving screws with a drill to add a wooden reinforcement to a stage piece, but the screws David Roche gave me were too long, so I ended up nailing the piece to the floor! (Memories are made of this.)

I was telling Frank about Borgen, and it turned out that he's already on the show's third season through the miracle of illegal downloading.  He would be interested in political shows, what with his Green Party involvement.

Last night I went on Betty Anne's Queen Street Art Walk again.  This time we mostly went along Ossington Avenue north to Dundas Street and back.

No comments: