Tuesday, January 21, 2014

AIDA

"I never screwed my secretary--or did I?"--Borgen

Saturday afternoon I skipped the Acting Meetup and went to a screening of a Paris Opera production of Verdi's Aida at the Bloor. It's one of my favorite operas--I've seen it several times--but this was a rather strange production, with cleaning women and other modern touches.  In Aida's first scenes she was wearing a blond wig that makes her and Amneris look like doppelgangers at first glance.  Though she took it off before long, it confused the audience at a crucial time, when their characters were being established. (That's the kind of detail Giuseppe Macina hates.)

Saturday I finished the Byzantine history and now we can resell it online.  And now I've started reading the comedy issue of Lapham's Quarterly.

Sunday night I watched a second episode of Borgen so I wouldn't fall behind when Moira saw it while I was at choir practice.  The drawback was that I was dying to talk about it but couldn't spoil it for her. (We can talk about it tomorrow, of course.)

At choir practice this evening we started doing "Pie Jesu" from Faure's Requiem Mass.  I've heard it before but this is the first time I've sung it.

No comments: