Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Another Book Club Meetup


This evening I went to a new Book Club Meetup's first event at an apartment building north of Bathurst & Lawrence.  We were each supposed to bring two book suggestions.  There were a dozen of us, and some of us suggested more than two.  You can imagine that it got pretty hectic. (We could have used a talking stone.)

I suggested Michael Ende's German children's book THE NEVERENDING STORY.  I read it almost thirty years ago and it's really wonderful! (I recall the movie was pretty good too.) It's a book I plan on rereading soon anyway. Then I suggested Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "magical realism" classic ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE.  I also mentioned Giuseppe di Lampedusa's THE LEOPARD, but warned that Toronto libraries have few copies.

For the next few months, we'll be reading NIGHT GARDENING, THE HARE WITH AMBER EYES and CITY OF THIEVES.  I'm not sure whether they're the sort of books I'm interested in or just the stuff of Oprah's Book Club.

Afterward I went to another karaoke session with the INTJ Meetup group.  I sang Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain" and the Kinks' "Come Dancing."

I've finally finished reading the intoxication issue of LAPHAM'S QUARTERLY.

No comments: