Monday, April 08, 2013

LOVE, MARILYN

"I can be smart when it's important.  But most men don't like it"--Marilyn Monroe in HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE

Today I saw the documentary LOVE, MARILYN at the TIFF Bell Lightbox.  It's only about the second movie I've seen at that cinema:  a couple of years ago I saw Michelle Williams' fine western MEEK'S CUTOFF there. (When I mentioned that to Jane today, she asked, "Didn't that also have that notnicknolte-nicknolte guy?" I promised that I'd give her attribution when I mentioned that quote in this blog.)

I saw this movie with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup group. (Several of them had never seen a Marilyn Monroe movie!) The sad story was familiar, but it still fascinates me:  she had this really deep insecurity that nothing could overcome.  They used personal files that were only uncovered recently, and employed a lot of famous actors to deliver her perspective and that of people who were close to her.  I must say that Uma Thurman seemed to get into MM's character pretty deeply.

Moira made dinner today, which was scalloped potatoes and ham.  I suggested that she add some garlic, which gave it an original taste.

Since its high level the week before last, this blog's viewership has dropped again.  Maybe I think too much about the numbers.

No comments: