Friday, April 19, 2013

THE CAT SCREAMED AT MIDNIGHT

In the afternoon I saw BIG FELLA, with Paul Robeson singing "My Curly Headed Baby."  Unfortunately, in the last 15 minutes the DVD became unplayable.  When that happens the words "Skipping over damaged area" appear.  Sometimes the disc will skip forward to just a few minutes later. (Sometimes you can see a bit more by going backward toward where the damage ends.) But in this case it seemed to stay unplayable till the end.  Oh well, I think I can guess how it was going to end anyway.

Afterward I mailed the disc, so we are now completely finished with zip.ca .  Mother suggested checking out Canada's other online DVD rental companies, but zip.ca had the biggest selection.  At least 2Q Video is in our neighborhood and its selection is pretty wide.

John and Kathrine came over to celebrate John's birthday (which was on Sunday, but they only now found the time to come over). We ate Indian food, which I always like.

This evening I joined the theatre group at the Academy of Artisans. (I was half an hour late, because I couldn't remember how far north of Lawrence Avenue the place was.) We considered several themes, including a high-school reunion, a 1920s speakeasy and a mystery involving a restless ghost.  In the end we chose THE CAT SCREAMED AT MIDNIGHT, about the murder of an English lord on a 1930s estate. (Shades of GOSFORD PARK.) It sounds promising.

No comments: