Sunday, April 28, 2013

TAXI DRIVER

Travis Bickle (writing to his parents): "One day you will hear a knock on the door and it will be me."

Today I saw Martin Scorcese's classic TAXI DRIVER (for the third time) at the Yonge & Dundas Event Screen with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup.  It's set in the seedy New York, before they Disneyfied Manhattan in the '80s.  Oddly, the climactic violence can feel like a relief, like a taut spring being uncoiled.  That's quite a funny performance by Robert de Niro.  The scene where pimp Harvey Keitel does a slow dance with Jodie Foster is really creepy!

I've read sixty-odd pages of READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN, but I think I've had enough.  I have a feeling the rest of the book will be all the same.

I ate oatmeal for lunch, for the first time in years. (I was going to make an omelette for the parents, but Moira made one first.)

In the afternoon I went out to buy Shredded Wheat, but they were all out.  But I did get yeast, brown sugar, navel oranges and Ambrosia apples.

In the Empire game the Wovles were attacking my Archangels alliance on Friday and Saturday. (They'd invited me to join them, but the Archangels invited me first, and I'm not a turncoat.) So I got hit several times and all my soldiers were killed.  I've been rebuilding slowly since then.

No comments: