Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Je Crois Entendre Encore

This afternoon I went to the Reference Library near the Bloor-Yonge station and borrowed the score for Bizet's THE PEARL FISHERS. (You can borrow the scores with a yellow band on the spine.) I borrowed it because I want to learn the aria "Je Crois Entendre Encore" when I resume my singing lesson with Giuseppe.

It's a tenor aria, but I can sing it in a baritone range with a few changes.  The top note is an A, which is too high for me--the highest note I can do is F or G--so I'll transpose the key from A minor to D minor, where the top note will be a manageable E.  Fortunately, I've purchased the Finale Notepad 2009 software, which allows me to create scores, then play them back through MIDI and spot any mistakes.  The only annoying thing is that when I open the software it always asks whether I want to trade up to a more expensive version.

Then I went to the World's Biggest Bookstore and bought a paperback of Camus' L'ETRANGER for the Book and Brunch Meetup. (This translation was titled THE OUTSIDER.) It has a great opening: "Mother died today.  Or maybe yesterday, I don't know."

In the evening I went to Paula's Toronto Fun Lovin' Friends Meetup at the Golden Griddle near College station. (She somehow reminds me of Paz de la Huerta as the mistress in BOARDWALK EMPIRE.) We talked about Dale Carnegie's book HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE, which I read when I was a kid!  I'd already had dinner, but I ordered ice cream.

No comments: