Friday, April 26, 2013

Non-Fiction Book Club Meetup

This evening I went to the Non-Fiction Book Club Meetup at the Reference Library.  We talked about Laura Byrne Parquet's WANDERLUST. (Parquet contacted Rose the organizer from Ottawa, pleased that her book was being discussed, and provided some discussion questions that weren't very useful.) Only about a dozen people showed up.  One of us told how she'd walked the pilgrim's road from Portugal to the Santiago de Compostela church, attracted not by religious interest but by cultural curiosity and low costs.  Afterward Rose and I went to Jack Astor's nearby and discussed organizing challenges.

In the afternoon I'd gone to the Gladstone library and borrowed Azar Nafrisi's READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN.  The little I've read leaves me still unsure:  I hope it isn't Oprah-style chick lit. (Moira met an Iranian last weekend who felt the book was anti-Iranian.)

While I was there, I got my library card renewed, producing a credit card bill to establish proof of residence.  I wish they could add a "proof of residence" thing to your existing IDs so you wouldn't need an extra document for things like library cards and voting.

I've started a new computer game called Kingsbridge.  It's about--surprise, surprise!--building and defending a town.

No comments: